Salmon Ecology Team researchers Ellen Freund and Morgan Bond collect data on salmonids caught using a seine in the Scott Creek lagoon. During data collection the researchers:
- Record the PIT tag number that individually identifies each fish (Morgan is holding the tag reader).
- Tag the fish if it's untagged.
- Record the length and weight.
- Take a scale sample for determining the age of the fish.
- Take a small piece of fin for a genetic sample.
When the data collection is complete, the fish are released.
Date: July 2003
Location: Scott Creek lagoon (Santa Cruz County)
Contact: SWFSC Fisheries Ecology Division, Salmon Ecology Team