Research Interests:My primary interests are the population characterization and dynamics of Antarctic fish species and finfish communities. My work includes conducting surveys in the Southern Ocean to characterize biology, size composition, reproduction, age & growth, spatial distribution, predator/prey interaction, & habitat characteristics and preferences of Antarctic fish. In addition, I have a great interest in detecting vulnerable marine ecosystem (VMEs), and pursuing mechanisms to ensure they're not adversely impacted by destructive bottom fishing practices. I’m also closely involved in the stock assessment and management of harvested Antarctic marine species. I currently serve as Chair of the Scientific Committee of the Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR).
- Ph.D. in Marine Biology and Fisheries. 2003. Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, Miami, FL
- M.S. in Biological Oceanography. 1990. Old Dominion University. Norfolk, VA
- B.S. in Biology. 1988. Radford University, Radford, VA
- Jones, C.D., and T.J. Near. The reproductive behaviour of Pogonophryne scotti Regan confirms that egg-guarding parental care is widespread among the major evolutionary lineages of Antarctic notothenioids. Journal of Fish Biology. In review.
- Near, T.J., A. Dornburg, K.L. Kuhn, J.T. Eastman, J.N. Pennington, T. Patarnello, L. Zane, D.A. Fernández, and C.D. Jones. 2012. Ancient climate change, antifreeze, and the evolutionary diversification of Antarctic fishes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. In review.
- Kock, K.-H., J. Gröger, and C.D. Jones. Interannual variability in the feeding of ice fish (Notothenioidei, Channichthyidae) in the southern Scotia Arc and the Antarctic Peninsula region. Polar Biology In review.
- Jones, C.D., and S.J. Lockhart. 2011. Detecting vulnerable marine ecosystems in the southern ocean using research trawls and underwater imagery. Marine Policy 35: 732–736
- Brooks, C.M., A.H. Andrews, J.R. Ashford, N. Ramanna, C.D. Jones, C.C. Lundstrom, and G.M. Cailliet. 2011. Age estimation and lead-radium dating of Antarctic toothfish (Dissostichus mawsoni) in the Ross Sea. Polar Biology 34:329–338
- Ashford, J., M. La Mesa, B. Fach, C. Jones, and I. Everson. 2010. Testing early life connectivity in Scotia Sea icefish using otolith chemistry and particle tracking simulations. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 67: 1303–1315.
- M. La Mesa, A. De Felice, C.D. Jones and K.-H. Kock. 2009. Age and growth of spiny icefish, Chaenodraco wilsoni (Regan, 1914), off Joinville-D’Urville Islands) Antarctic Peninsula). CCAMLR Science 16:115-130.
- Kuhn, K.L., T.J. Near, C.D. Jones, and J.T. Eastman. 2009. Aspects of the biology and population genetics of the Antarctic nototheniid fish Trematomus nicolai. Copeia 2:320-327
- Near, T.J., C.D. Jones, and J.T. Eastman. 2009. Geographic intraspecific variation in buoyancy within each of four species of Antarctic notothenioid fishes. Antarctic Science 21(2):123–129