I am interested in the role of forage species in structuring pelagic food webs. Specifically, my research focuses on 1) the link between oceanography and prey distributions, 2) the link between prey distribution and top predator behavior, and 3) understanding scale dependence on trophic interactions.
- BS, Biology, Cum Laude from Duke University, Durham, NC, 2000.
- MSc, University of Washington, College of Ocean and Fishery Sciences, Seattle, WA, 2003. Advisor: Dr. John Horne
- Thesis: A Comparison of Factors Influencing Backscatter for Walleye Pollock, Theragra chalcogramma.
- PhD, Duke University, Ecology, Durham, NC and Beaufort, NC, 2008. Advisor: Dr. Larry Crowder.
- Dissertation: Linking Prey to Predator: Scale Dependence and Oceanographic Influence in Marine Food Webs.
- E.L. Hazen, Horne, J.K.H. 2003. A method for evaluating the effects of biological factors on fish target strength. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 60:3, 555 - 562.
- E.L. Hazen, Horne, J.K.H. 2004. Comparing the modelled and measured target-strength variability of walleye pollock, Theragra chalcogramma . ICES Journal of Marine Science. 61:3, 363 - 377.
- L.B. Crowder, Hazen, E.L., Avissar, N., Bjorkland, R., Latanich, K., Ogburn, M. 2008. The Impacts of Fisheries on Marine Ecosystems and the Transition to Ecosystem-Based Management. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics. 39, 259 – 278.
- E.L. Hazen, Craig J.K., Good C.P., Crowder L.B. 2009. Vertical distribution of fish biomass in hypoxic waters on the Gulf of Mexico Shelf. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 375: 195-207.
- L.M. Campbell, Gray, N.G., Hazen, E.L., Shackeroff, J.M. 2009. Beyond baselines: rethinking priorities for ocean conservation. Ecology and Society 14(1): 14.
- N. Avissar, Hazen, E.L., Young, N., Crowder, L.B. 2009. Will it Float? Testing a new technique for reducing sea turtle damage to crab pots. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 29: 170-175.
- J.S. Shackeroff, Hazen, E.L., Crowder, L.B. 2009. Status and Drivers of Change in Marine Ecosystems. in Ecosystem-based management for the Oceans: Applying Resilience Thinking, Island Press. McLeod, K.L. and Leslie, H.M. (ed).