Include the hydrodynamics of coastal areas and currents along continental margins and interdisciplinary ecosystem studies of coastal upwelling regimes. Research projects have included studies of the Slope Water off the northeastern United States, circulation and water mass formation in the Gulf of Maine, measurement of the Brazil Current between 24° and 30° S, multiple studies of the California Current, Undercurrent and coastal upwelling systems. Investigative techniques have emphasized combining traditional in situ data and new in situ measuring techniques with satellite and shore--based remotely sensed data. Involvement has been in both primarily physical oceanography programs and multidisciplinary programs.
- 1990 Ph.D., Physical Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, Dissertation Title: "The Brazil Current at Subtropical Latitudes." Prof. John A. Knauss, (Chairman), David L. Evans, H. Thomas Rossby, and Frank M. White.
- 1977 M.S., Marine Sciences (Physical Oceanography), University of Delaware, Thesis Title: "A Box Model Study of the Middle Atlantic Bight." Prof. Stuart L. Kupferman, Thesis Advisor.
- 1973 B.A., Geology, Williams College.
- Sung Yong Kim, Bruce D. Cornuelle, Eric J. Terrill, Burt Jones, Libe Washburn, Mark A. Moline, Jeffrey D. Paduan, Newell Garfield, John L. Largier, Greg Crawford, and P. Michael Kosro, 2013. Poleward Propagating subinertial alongshore surface currents off the U.S. West Coast. J. Geophys. Res., in press.
- Maxwell Hubbard, Donald Barrick, Newell Garfield, Jim Pettigrew, Carter Ohlmann, and Matthew Gough, 2013. A new method for estimating high-frequency radar error using data from Central San Francisco Bay. Ocean Science Journal. 48(1): 105-116. http://dx.doi.org/10. 1007/s12601-013-0009-y.
- Regan Long, Donald Barrick, John Largier, and Newell Garfield, 2011. Wave Observations from Central California: SeaSonde Systems and In-Situ Wave Buoys. Journal of Sensors. Volume 2011, Article ID 728936, 18 pages, [doi:10.1155/2011/728936].
- Belinda Lipa, Donald Barrick, Sei-Ichi Saitoh, Yoichi Ishikawa, Toshiuki Awaji, John Largier, and Newell Garfield, 2011. Japan Tsunami Current Flows Observed by HF Radars on Two Continents. Remote Sens 3(8): 1663-1679, 2011.
- Sung Yong Kim, Eric J. Terrill, Bruce D. Cornuelle, Burt Jones, Libe Washburn, Mark A. Moline, Jeffrey D. Paduan, Newell Garfield, John L. Largier, Greg Crawford, and P. Michael Kosro, 2011. Mapping the U.S. West Coast surface circulation: A multiyear analysis of high-frequency radar observations, J. Geophys. Res., 116 C03011, [doi:10.1029/2010JC006669].
- Hoffman, Michael D., Newell Garfield, and Roger W. Bland, 2010. Frequency synchronization of blue whale calls near Pioneer Seamount, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 128(1) 490—494.
- Gough, M. K., N. Garfield, and E. McPhee-Shaw, 2010. An analysis of HF radar measured surface currents to determine tidal, wind-forced, and seasonal circulation in the Gulf of the Farallones, California, United States, J. Geophys. Res. 115, C04019, [doi:10.1029/2009JC005644].
- Roughan, M., N. Garfield, J.L. Largier, E.P. Dever, C.E. Dorman, D. Peterson, and J. Dorman, 2006. Transport and Retention in an Upwelling Region: the role of across shelf structure, Deep Sea Research II 53, [doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2006.07.015].
- Kudela, R.M., N. Garfield and K.W. Bruland, 2006. Bio-optical signatures and biogeochemistry from intense upwelling and relaxation in coastal California, Deep Sea Research II 52, 2999-3022, [doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2006.07.010].
- Largier, J.L., C.A. Lawrence, M. Roughan, D.M. Kaplan, E.P. Dever, C.E. Dorman, R.M. Kudela, S.M. Bollens, F.P. Wilerson, R.C. Dugdale, L.W. Botsford, N. Garfield, B. Kuebel Cervantes, and D. Koracin, 2006. WEST: a northern California study of the role of wind--driven transport in the productivity of coastal plankton communities, Deep Sea Research II 53, 2833-2849, [doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2006.08.108].
- Margolina, T., C.A. Collins, T.A. Rago, R.G. Paquette, and N. Garfield, 2006. Intermediate level Lagrangian subsurface measurements in the northeast Pacific: Isobaric RAFOS float data, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst, 7, Q09002, [doi:10.1029/2006GC001295].
- Collins, C.A., L.M. Ivanov, O.V. Melnichenko, and N. Garfield, 2004. California Undercurrent Variability and Eddy Transport Estimated from RAFOS Float Observations. J. Geophy. Res., 109, C05028, [doi:10.1029/2003JC002191].
- Garfield, Newell, Mathew E. Maltrud, Curtis A. Collins, Thomas A. Rago, and Robert G. Paquette, 2001. Lagrangian flow in the California Undercurrent, an observation and model comparison. J. Mar. Sys., 29, 201-220.
- Collins, C.A., N. Garfield, T.A. Rago, F.W. Rischmiller and E. Carter, 2000. Mean structure of the inshore countercurrent and California Undercurrent off Pt. Sur, California. Deep Sea Res. 47(5-6), 765-782.
- Steger, John M., Franklin B. Schwing, Curtis A. Collins, Leslie K. Rosenfeld, Newell Garfield, and Erhan Gezgin, 2000. Circulation and water masses in the Gulf of the Farallones. Deep Sea Res. 47(4-5), 907-946.