Research Interests:Physical oceanography, physical-biological interactions, fisheries oceanography, climate variability, upper-ocean circulation and dynamics, coastal oceanography, North Pacific Ocean, eastern boundary systems, electronic tagging of animals, field measurements, time series analysis.
- 1998 Ph.D., Physical Oceanography, Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of British Columbia, Dissertation Title: Lagrangian Observations of the Near-Surface Circulation in the North Pacific, 1990-1995, Committee: Paul H. LeBlond (Chair), Richard Thomson, Stephen Pond, Phyllis Stabeno
- 1989 M.S., Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington. Thesis Title: The Mesoscale Structure of Precipitation in EMEX Cloud Clusters, Committee: Robert A. Houze (Chair), James Holton, Clifford Mass
- 1985 B.S., Physics, University of Arizona.
- 1985 B.S., Atmospheric Sciences, University of Arizona.
- Bograd, S.J., and A.W. Mantyla, 2005. On the subduction of upwelled waters in the California Current, Journal of Marine Research, 63(5), 863-885.
- Bograd, S.J., D.G. Foley, F.B. Schwing, C. Wilson, R.M. Laurs, J.J. Polovina, E.A. Howell, and R.E. Brainard, 2004. On the seasonal and interannual migrations of the transition zone chlorophyll front, Geophysical Research Letters, 31, doi:10.1029/2004GL020637.
- Bograd, S.J., and R.J. Lynn, 2003. Long-term variability in the southern California Current System, Deep-Sea Research II, 50(14-16), 2355-2370.
- Bograd, S.J., F.B. Schwing, C.G. Castro, and D.A. Timothy, 2002. Bottom water renewal in the Santa Barbara Basin, Journal of Geophysical Research, 107(C12), 3216, doi:10.1029/2001JC001291.
- Bograd, S.J., T.K. Chereskin, and D. Roemmich, 2001. Transport of mass, heat, salt, and nutrients in the southern California Current System: Annual cycle and interannual variability, Journal of Geophysical Research, 106, 9255-9275.