Research Interests:Within the EEZ Mammals and Acoustic Program, I am responsible for the quantitative analyses of cetacean line-transect data collected from ship and aerial platforms, with an emphasis on developing and evaluating predictive habitat-based models of cetacean density based on remotely sensed environmental data. My research interests include 1) Oceanographic correlates of cetacean abundance and distribution, 2) Quantitative models of cetacean habitat, 3) Development of remotely sensed indices of oceanographic variables, 4) Statistical techniques in marine ecological research, and 5) Methods for incorporating acoustic detections of cetaceans into line-transect abundance estimates and habitat-based density models.
Education:Ph.D. in Marine Science, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Becker, E.A., D.G. Foley, K.A. Forney, J. Barlow, J.V. Redfern, and C.L. Gentemann. In Press. Forecasting cetacean abundance patterns to enhance management decisions. Endangered Species Research Theme Issue “Beyond Marine Mammal Habitat Modeling”.
- Becker, E.A., K.A. Forney, M. C. Ferguson, D.G. Foley, R.C. Smith, J. Barlow, and J.V. Redfern. 2010. Comparing California Current cetacean-habitat models developed using in situ and remotely sensed sea surface temperature data. Marine Ecology Progress Series 413: 163–183.
- Barlow, J., M.C. Ferguson, E.A. Becker, J.V. Redfern, K.A. Forney, I.L. Vilchis, P.C. Fiedler, T. Gerrodette, and L.T. Balance. 2009. Predictive modeling of marine mammal density from existing survey data and model validation using upcoming surveys. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-444.
- Redfern, J.V., J. Barlow, L.T. Ballance, T. Gerrodette, and E.A. Becker. 2008. Absence of scale dependence in dolphin-habitat models for the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean. Marine Ecology Progress Series 363:1-14.
- Becker E.A. 2007. Predicting seasonal patterns of California cetacean density based on remotely sensed environmental data. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Redfern, J.V., M.C. Ferguson, E.A. Becker, K.D. Hyrenback, C. Good, J. Barlow, K. Kashchner, M.F. Baumgartner, K.A. Forney, L.T. Balance, P. Fauchald, P. Halpin, T. Hamazaki, A.J. Pershing, S.S. Qian, A. Read, S.B. Reilly, L. Torres, and F. Werner. 2006. Techniques for cetacean-habitat modeling: A review. Marine Ecology Progress Series 310: 271-295.
- Smith, R.C., P. Dustan, D. Au, K.S. Baker, and E.A. Dunlap (maiden name). 1986. Distribution of cetaceans and sea surface chlorophyll concentrations in the California Current, Marine Biology, Vol. 91, No. 3, pp 385-402.
- Dunlap, E.A. (maiden name). 1988. Laysan Albatross nesting on Guadalupe Island, Mexico, American Birds, Vol. 42, No. 2, Summer.