Research Interests:I began working at SWFSC in 1998 as an at-sea oceanographer for dolphin surveys in the eastern tropical Pacific. In 1999, I moved from the Ecosystem Studies Program to the Life History Program, where I now work on marine mammal life history and health. However, I still like to go back to my oceanographic roots to explore how marine mammal health or life history parameters may be linked with changes in the environment. Much of my time is spent working with cetaceans incidentally killed in fisheries or stranded along our coast. Currently, I am working on the life history (age, growth, & reproduction) of Delphinus spp. off the California coast and the causes of mortality of stranded cetaceans.
- MSc, Marine Science, University of San Diego
- BA, Marine Science, UC Santa Cruz
- David J. St. Aubin, Karin A. Forney, Susan J. Chivers, Michael D. Scott, Kerri Danil, Tracy Romano, Randall S. Wells and Frances M. D. Gulland. 2011. Hematological, serum, and plasma chemical constituents in pantropical spotted dolphins (Stenella attenuata) following chase, encirclement, and tagging. Marine Mammal Science
- St. Leger, Judy; Danil, Kerri; Dennison, Sophie; Scadeng, Miriam; Bernaldo de Quirós Miranda, Yara; Fernandez, Antonio; Cranford, Ted; Wilkin, Sarah; Rowles, Teri. Pathology of Barotrauma in Long-beaked Common Dolphins (Delphinus capensis). 19th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, November 27 - December 2, 2011. Tampa, Florida.
- Danil, K. and J.A. St.Leger. 2011. "Seabird and Dolphin Mortality Associated with Underwater Detonation Exercises." Marine Technology Society Journal 45, (6): 89-95.
- Danil, K., S. J. Chivers, M. D. Henshaw, J. L. Thieleking, R. Daniels, and J. St. Leger. 2010. Cetacean strandings in San Diego County, California, USA: 1851-2008. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 11(2):163-184.
- Danil, K and S.J. Chivers. 2007. Growth and reproduction of female short-beaked common dolphins, Delphinus delphis, in the eastern tropical Pacific. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 85: 108-121.
- Danil, K and S.J. Chivers. 2006. Habitat-based spatial and temporal variability in life history characteristics of female common dolphins Delphinus delphis in the eastern tropical Pacific. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 318: 277-286.
- Carretta, J., Chivers, S.J. and K. Danil. 2005. Preliminary estimates of marine mammal bycatch, mortality, and biological sampling of cetaceans in California gillnet fisheries for 2004. Administrative Report LJ-05-10, NMFS, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, 8604 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, CA
- Danil, K., K.M. Robertson, and S.J. Chivers. 2004. An evaluation of using enhanced digital microscopy to estimate ages of short-beaked common dolphins Delphinus delphis, U.S. Dep. Commer., NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-SWFSC-365, 25 p.
- Romano, T., M. Keogh, and K. Danil. 2002a. Investigation of the Effects of Repeated Chase and Capture on the Immune System of dolphins Stenella attenuata and Stenella longirostris in the Eastern Tropical Pacific. Administrative Report LJ-02-35C, NMFS, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, 8604 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, CA
- Chivers, S.J., Danil, K. and A.E. Dizon. 2000. Projectile biopsy sampling of cetacean species. Paper SC/52/O22 presented to the IWC Scientific Committee, June 2000, in Adelaide, Australia