My research focuses on using genetic analysis and genetic modeling techniques to inform management decisions for marine mammals. I use simulation-based performance testing to evaluate the performance of genetic analytical methods in a management context. I also study genetic structuring of cetacean species around the Hawaiian Archipelago. My current projects include:
- Social structure of Hawai‘i Insular false killer whales
- Global genetic structure of false killer whales, melon-headed whales, and pygmy killer whales, all with a focus on Hawaiian waters
- Reviewing analytical methods for using genetic data to delimit subspecies
- Simulation-based performance testing of the International Whaling Commission’s Catch Limit Algorithm
- Ph.D., UC San Diego, 2000
- B.S., Harvey Mudd College, 1995
- Martien, K.K., D.P. Gregovich, A.E. Punt. In press. Evaluating the peformance of the CLA when population structure is not correctly identified. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management.
- Martien, K.K., R.W. Baird, N.M. Hedrick, A.M. Gorgone, J.L. Thieleking, D.J. McSweeney, K.M. Robertson, D.L. Webster. 2012. Population structure of isoand-associated dolphins: evidence from mitochondrial and microsatellite markers for common bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) around the main Hawaiian Islands. Marine Mammal Science, 28:E208-E232.
- Archer, F.I., K.K. Martien, B.L. Taylor, R.G. LeDuc, B.J. Ripley, G.H. Givens, J.C. George. 2010. A simulation-based approach to evaluating population structure in non-equilibrial populations. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management, 11:101-113.
- Martien, K.K., D. Gregovich, M.V. Bravington, A.E. Punt, A.E. Strand, D.A. Tallmon, B.L. Taylor. 2009. TOSSM: an R package for assessing performance of genetic analytical methods in a management context. Molecular Ecology Resources, 9:1456-1459.
- Morin, P. A., K. K. Martien, and B. L. Taylor. 2008. Assessing statistical power of SNPs for population structure and conservation studies. Molecular Ecology Resources, 9:66-73.
- Martien, K. K. and B. L. Taylor. 2003. The Limitations of Hypothesis-Testing as a Means of Delineating Demographically Independent Units. Journal of Cetacean Research and management. 5(3):213-218.
- Martien, K.K., B.L. Taylor, E. Slooten, S. Dawson. 1999. A sensitivity analysis to guide research and management for Hector's dolphin. Biological Conservation, 90:183-191.