Research Interests:I started at the Fisheries as a volunteer in the genetics lab in August 2004. I have bachelors degrees in Marine Biology and Global Studies from the University of California at Santa Barbara. After my undergraduate work I interned with the Cetacean Behavior Laboratory at San Diego State University studying population parameters and behavior of bottlenose dolphins. I got my graduate degree in the same lab in 2007 studying bottlenose dolphins off the coast of Belize, Central America. My thesis included research on the social structure of the dolphins of Belize. My position here at Fisheries entails projects that include gender determination, sequencing, microsatellites, SNP discovery and genotyping, and all facets of next generation sequencing. I am very thankful to be a part of this group and really enjoy my work here.
- Hancock, B.L. and R.H. Defran. 2005. Bottlenose dolphins (tursiops truncatus) in Turneffe Atoll, Belize demonstrate long-term site fidelity and social bonds. Poster for the XVI conference of the Society of Marine Mammalogy.
- LeDuc, R., Morin, P., Koonooka, M., George, C, Noongwook, G., Hancock, B., Robertson, K. and B.Taylor. 2006. Mitochondrial sequence variation in the Bering/Chukchi/Beaufort Seas bowhead whales. Paper SC/58/BRG9 presented to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission (unpublished).
- Hancock, B.L. 2007. Group characteristics, site fidelity, and social affiliation of bottlenose dolphins (tursiops truncatus) in Turneffe Atoll, Belize. M.S.thesis, San Diego State University, San Diego, California. 117pp.
- Morin, P. A., Hancock, B., and J.C. George. 2007. Development and application of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) for bowhead whale population structure analysis. Report SC-59-BRG8 to the International Whaling Commission.
- Chivers, S.J, Brad Hanson, Jeff Laake, Pat Gearin, Marcia M. Muto, John Calambokidis, Debbie Duffield, Tamara McGuire, Jan Hodder, Denise Greig, Elizabeth Wheeler, Jim Harvey, Kelly R. Robertson, and Brittany Hancock. 2007. Additional Genetic Evidence For Population Structure of Phocena Phocena off the Coats of California, Oregon, and Washington. U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, ADMN Report LJ-07-08, 14pp.
- Hancock, Brittany L, Lang, Aimee R, Morin, Phillip A. 2009. Use of large-scale screening of targeted genes as a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) discovery method for cetaceans. Poster for the XVIII conference of the Society of Marine Mammalogy.
- Morin, P. A., Victoria L. Pease, Brittany L. Hancock, Kelly M. Robertson, Caroline W. Antolik, and Ryan M. Huebinger. 2010. Characterization of 42 single nucleotide polymorphisims (SNP) for the bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) for use in discriminating populations. Marine Mammal Science July 2010 issue.
- Goodmanlowe, GD, Bruner, N, Blasius, M, Pitman, R, and Hancock, B. 2010. Contaminants in Three Species of Cetaceans from Palmyra Atoll, a Remote Atoll in the Central Pacific. Poster for the Southern California Marine Mammal workshop.
- Susan J. Chivers, Robin W. Baird, Daniel J. McSweeney, Daniel L. Webster, Antoinette M. Gorgone, Greg Schorr, Juan Carlos Salinas, Erin M. Oleson, Jooke Robbins, David Matilla, Carol L. Palmer, Mark Schultz, Janet L. Thieleking, Victoria Pease, Kelly M. Robertson, Brittany L. Hancock, Karen M. Martien, and Barbara L. Taylor. 2010. Evidence of genetic differentiation for Hawai‘i Insular false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens). NOAA Technical Memorandum NOAA-TM-458.
- Mesnick, S.L., Taylor, B.L., Archer, F.I., Martien, K.K., Escorza Treviño, W., Hancock-Hanser, B.L., Moreno Medina, S.C., Pease, V.L., Robertson, K.M., Straley, J.M., Baird, R.W., Calambokidis, J., Schorr, G.S., Wade, P., Burkanov, V., Lunsford, C.R., Rendell, L. and Morin, P.A. 2011. Sperm whale population structure in the eastern and central North Pacific inferred by the use of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), microsatellites and mitochondrial DNA. Molecular Ecology Resources, Special Issue: SNP Development in Non-model organisms, Vol 11, pages 278-298.
- Sremba, A., B. Hancock-Hanser, R. LeDuc, T. Branch, and C.S.Baker. 2011. The minimum census of surviving maternal lineages among contemporary Antarctic blue whales. SC/63/SH13, Submitted to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Comission, Norway, June 2011.
- Alter, S. Elizabeth, Howard C. Rosenbaum, Lianne D. Postma , Peter Whitridge, Cork Gaines, Diana Weber, Mary G. Egan, Melissa Lindsay, George Amato, Larry Dueck, Robert L. Brownell Jr., Mads-Peter Heide-Jørgensen, Kristin L. Laidre, Gisella Caccone, Brittany L. Hancock-Hanser . 2012. Gene flow on Ice: The role of sea ice and whaling in shaping Holarctic genetic diversity and population differentiation in bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) (submitted).
- Sremba, A., B. Hancock-Hanser, R. LeDuc, T. Branch, and C.S.Baker. 2012. Circumpolar diversity and geographic differentiation of mtDNA in the critically 1 endangered Antarctic blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus. PLoS One 10.1371/journal.pone.0032579.
- Morin, P.A., F.I. Archer, V.L. Pease, B.L. Hancock-Hanser, K.M. Robertson, R.M. Huebinger, K.K.Martien, J.W. Bickham, J.C. George, L.D. Postma, and B.L. Taylor. 2012. An empirical comparison of SNPs and microsatellites for population structure, assignment, and demographic analyses of bowhead whale populations (submitted).