| Research Oceanographer (JIMAR)|
Environmental Research Division
Phone: (831) 658-3203
Fax: (831) 648-8440
- GLOBEC Northeast Pacific
- NOAA Fisheries and the Environment (FATE)
- Tagging of Pacific Pelagics (TOPP) Oceanography Working Group
Ocean ecology with an emphasis on physical-biological interactions at mesoscale and large scale.
Areas of active research:
• The influence of oceanographic processes on top predator (marine mammal, seabird, sea turtle) distribution and community structure
• Interannual to decadal climate variability in the Pacific Ocean and its impacts on ecosystem productivity and community structure
• Development of environmental products and operational indicators that relate physical forcing to biological response in North Pacific ecosystems
I also collaborate with other colleagues working on projects such as upwelling dynamics in the Colombian Caribbean, blue whale ecology in the eastern Pacific, Galápagos sea lion historical biogeography, and humpback whale occurrence in the Galápagos Islands.
- Ph.D. Oceanography, Oregon State University, 2003
- B.Sc. Marine Biology, University of Bogotá Jorge Tadeo Lozano, Bogotá, Colombia, 1994
- Palacios, D.M., S.J. Bograd, D.G. Foley, and F.B. Schwing. 2006. Oceanographic characteristics of biological hot spots in the North Pacific: A remote sensing perspective. Deep-Sea Research II 53(3-4):250-269, doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2006.03.004.
- Palacios, D.M., and S.J. Bograd. 2005. A census of Tehuantepec and Papagayo eddies in the northeastern tropical Pacific. Geophysical Research Letters 32, L23606, doi:10.1029/2005GL024324.
- Palacios, D.M., S.K. Salazar, and D. Day. 2004. Cetacean remains and strandings in the Galápagos Islands, 1923-2003. Latin American Journal of Aquatic Mammals 3(2):127-150.
- Palacios, D.M., S.J. Bograd, R. Mendelssohn, and F.B. Schwing. 2004. Long-term and seasonal trends in stratification in the California Current, 1950-1993. Journal of Geophysical Research 109, C10016, doi:10.1029/2004JC002380.
- Palacios, D.M. 2004. Seasonal patterns of sea-surface temperature and ocean color around the Galápagos: regional and local influences. Deep-Sea Research II 51(1-3):43-57, doi: 10.1016/j.dsr2.2003.08.001.
- Palacios, D.M. 2002. Factors influencing the island-mass effect of the Galápagos Islands. Geophysical Research Letters 29(23), 2134, doi: 10.1029/2002GL016232.