| Assistant Director, SWFSC|
Phone: (858) 546-5602
Fax: (858) 546-5655
Research Interests:Use of acoustics to conduct resource surveys; foraging tactics of whales, seals, penguins and other seabirds in relation to their prey; biological responses to climatic variability; resource management schemes that incorporate ecosystem considerations.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Santa Clara, 1969
- M.S., Oceanography, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1975
- Ph.D., Marine Biology, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1982
- B.K. Wells, J.C. Field, J.A. Thayer, C.B. Grimes, S.J. Bograd, W.J. Sydeman, F.B. Schwing and R. Hewitt. 2008. Untangling the relationships between climate, prey, and top predators in an ocean ecosystem. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 364:15-29.
- C.N.K. Anderson, C. Hsieh, R.P. Hewitt, A. Hollowed, J. Overland, J. Beddington, R.M. May, and George Sugihara. 2008. Why fishing magnifies fluctuations in fish abundance. Nature. 442(17): 835-839.
- R.P. Hewitt, I. Everson and C.D. Jones. 2008. Reconciling fisheries with conservation: three examples from the Southern Ocean. pp 1681-1697 in J.L. Nielsen, J.J. Dodson, K. Friedland, T.R. Hamon, J. Musick and E. Verspoor (eds). Reconciling fisheries with conservation: Proceedings of the Fourth World Fisheries Congress. American Fisheries Society, Symposium 49, Bethesda, Maryland.
- D.A. Croll, R.P. Hewitt, D.A. Demer, and J. Jansen. 2006. Effects of variability in prey abundance and distribution on the reproduction and foraging in chinstrap penguins. Journal of Zoology 269: 506-513.
- R.P. Hewitt, J.L.Watkins, M. Naganobu, P. Tshernyshkov, A.S. Brierley, D.A. Demer, S. Kasatkina, Y. Takao, C. Goss, A. Malyshko, M. Brandon, S. Kawaguchi, V. Siegel, P. Trathan, J.H. Emery, I. Everson and D. Miller. 2004. Biomass of Antarctic krill in the Scotia Sea in January/February 2000 and its use in revising an estimate of precautionary yield. Deep-Sea Research II, 51:1215–1236.
- R.P. Hewitt, D.A. Demer, J.H. Emery. 2003. An eight-year cycle in krill biomass density inferred from acoustic surveys conducted in the vicinity of the South Shetland Island during the austral summers of 1991/92 through 2001/02. Aquatic Living Resources 16(3): 205-213.
- R.P. Hewitt and E.H. Linen Low. 2000. The fishery on Antarctic krill: defining an ecosystem approach to management. Reviews in Fisheries Science 8(3): 235-298.
- V. Loeb, V. Siegel, O. Holm-Hansen, R. Hewitt, W. Fraser, W. Trivelpiece, and S. Trivelpiece. 1997. Effects of sea-ice extent and krill or salp dominance on the Antarctic food web. Nature 387:897-900.
- R.P. Hewitt and D.A. Demer. 1991. Krill abundance. Nature 353:310.
- R.P. Hewitt. 1988. Historical review of the oceanographic approach to fishery research. CalCOFI Reports Vol. XXIX: 27-41.
- R.P. Hewitt. 1981. The value of pattern in the distribution of young fish. Rapp. P.-v. Reun. Cons. int. Explor. Mer, 178: 229-236.
- R.P. Hewitt, P.E. Smith and J.C. Brown. 1976. The development and use of sonar mapping for pelagic stock assessment in the California Current area. U. S. Fisheries Bulletin Vol. 74(2): 281-300.
Curriculum Vitae File