- Ecology and evolution of southern- and central-coast California steelhead
- Processes controlling habitat dynamics at intermediate and broad scales, especially in arid and montane systems
- Metapopulation dynamics and evolution
- Quantitative methods of data analysis, accurately characterizing uncertainty and complex patterning in ecological systems
- Ecological design
- A.B., Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 1988
- Ph.D., University of Texas, Austin TX, 1998
- Boughton, D. A. 2010. Estimating the size of steelhead runs by tagging juveniles and monitoring migrants. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 30: 89-101
- Boughton, DA; Fish, H; Pope, J; Holt, G. 2009. Spatial patterning of habitat for Oncorhynchus mykiss in a system of intermittent and perennial streams. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 18 (1): 92-105
- Clemento, AJ; Anderson, EC; Boughton, D; Girman, D; Garza, JC. 2008. Population genetic structure and ancestry of Oncorhynchus mykiss populations above and below dams in south-central California. Conservation Genetics DOI 10.1007/s10592-008-9712-0
- Boughton, DA; Adams, PB; Anderson, E; Fusaro, C; Keller, E; Kelley, E; Lentsch, L; Nielsen, J; Perry, K; Regan, H; Smith, J; Swift, C; Thompson, L; Watson, F. 2007. Viability criteria for steelhead of the south-central and southern California coast. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SWFSC-407. 33 p.
- Boughton, DA; Gibson, M; Yedor, R; Kelley, E. 2007. Stream temperature and the potential growth and survival of juvenile Oncorhynchus mykiss in a southern California Creek. Freshwater Biology 52 (7): 1353-1364
- Boughton, DA; Adams, PB; Anderson, E; Fusaro, C; Keller, E; Kelley, E; Lentsch, L; Nielsen, J; Perry, K; Regan, H; Smith, J; Swift, C; Thompson, L; Watson, F. 2006. Steelhead of the south-central / southern California coast: population characterization for recovery planning. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SWFSC-394. 116 p.
- Boughton, DA; Goslin, M. 2006. Potential steelhead over-summering habitat in the south-central / southern California coast recovery domain: maps based on the envelope method. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SWFSC-391. 36 p.
- Boughton, DA; Fish, H; Pipal, K; Goin, J; Watson, F; Casagrande, J; Casagrande, J; Stoecker, M. 2005. Contraction of the southern range limit for anadromous Oncorhynchus mykiss. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SWFSC-380. 21 p.
- Boughton, D; Malvadkar, U. 2002. Extinction risk in successional landscapes subject to catastrophic disturbances. Conservation Ecology 6 (2): art. no.-2
- Boughton, DA. 2000. The dispersal system of a butterfly: A test of source-sink theory suggests the intermediate-scale hypothesis. American Naturalist 156 (2): 131-144
- Boughton, DA; Smith, ER; O'Neill, RV. 1999. Regional vulnerability: A conceptual framework. Ecosystem Health 5 (4): 312-322
- Boughton, DA. 1999. Empirical evidence for complex source-sink dynamics with alternative states in a butterfly metapopulation. Ecology 80 (8): 2727-2739
- Thomas, CD; Singer, MC; Boughton, DA. 1996. Catastrophic extinction of population sources in a butterfly metapopulation. American Naturalist 148 (6): 957-975
- Boughton, DA; Collette, BB; McCune, AR. 1991. Heterochrony in jaw morphology of needlefishes (Teleostei, Belonidae). Systematic Zoology 40 (3): 329-354
bfisher is a set of functions for estimating the run sizes of anadromous fish populations, from mark-recapture data gathered using a T-JAMM design (Tagging Juveniles And Monitoring Migrants). This sort of design is suitable for fish that can be tagged while in freshwater (usually using PIT tags), and then detected during their sea-ward and return migrations (usually by a system of fixed instream tag-detectors).