NOAA libraries offer a number of services and resources to help NOAA staff find the information they need. These include:
- access to our libraries
- reference service
- online literature searching
- online journals
- document retrieval
- training in the use of library and online resources
This page describes library services provided by the NMFS Southwest Fisheries Science Center to the offices of the NMFS Southwest Region.
Access to SWFSC Libraries
Staff from the NMFS Southwest Region are welcome to visit the SWFSC libraries in La Jolla and Santa Cruz, use the materials, and access locally-available online resources. They should contact the librarian beforehand to arrange the visit (and to make sure it's necessary).
La Jolla library: Debra Losey
Santa Cruz library: Kit Johnston
The libraries can provide reference service to regional staff on-site or via phone, fax, or email. We can often answer smaller information requests, or provide guidance in larger / more complicated searches.
Assuming the regional offices are on the NOAA West network, they have access to the following databases for literature searching:
- ASFA (Aquatic Science and Fisheries Abstracts)
- Meteorological & Geoastrophysical Abstracts (meteorology, hydrology, and climatology)
- OCLC FirstSearch Databases (includes Basic BIOSIS and Dissertation Abs)
These database are provided by the NOAA Regional Library in Seattle and are available from the following web page:
Region staff may also access these and other databases by visiting the SWFSC La Jolla or Santa Cruz libraries. Databases may also be available at local public or university libraries.
Assuming the regional offices are on the NOAA West network, they have access to the following online journals:
American Fisheries Society journals, 1998-present
- Transactions of the American Fisheries Society
- North American Journal of Fisheries Management
- North American Journal of Aquaculture
- Journal of Aquatic Animal Health
American Meteorological Society journals, 1974-present
- Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences
- Journal of Applied Meteorology
- Journal of Physical Oceanography
- Monthly Weather Review
- Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology
- Weather and Forecasting
- Journal of Climate
- Journal of Hydrometeorology
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- Earth Interactions
These online journals are provided by the NOAA Regional Library in Seattle and are available from the following web page:
There is also a NOAA West license for Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
The region can also access NMFS online journals freely from anywhere on the internet.
The SWFSC La Jolla and Santa Cruz libraries can provide a wide variety of documents (articles, reports, etc.) to regional staff. Contact Debra Losey in La Jolla or Kit Johnston in Santa Cruz for assistance.
With supervisor approval, the La Jolla and Santa Cruz librarians can provide on-site group training to some regional offices. This training could include basic information-finding skills or more advanced online/database searching techniques. Contact Debra or Kit for more information.
Staff visiting the libraries may also request individual training.