The Cooperative Fisheries Oceanography Research Team (CFORT) is based at Humboldt State University and conducts research focused on informing management of living marine resources as mandated under the Magnuson-Stevens Act, with a focus on the California Current Large Marine Ecosystem (CCLME) and particularly that portion of the CCLME off northern California. Our goal is to provide scientific information that contributes directly to improved management of marine fisheries and living marine resources in an ecosystem context. Our specific objectives include:
- conducting ship-based ocean observing cruises in the historically undersampled waters off northern California in support of the Pacific Coast Ocean Observing System (PaCOOS) and Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS); and
- to conduct research in fisheries oceanography and related fields with a focus on groundfish and salmonid stocks in the California Current Large Marine Ecosystem.
We use a variety of research approaches, including oceanographic field surveys, laboratory analysis of chemical and biological samples, numerical and statistical modeling, and development and application of ecological theory. We collaborate with colleagues throughout the Fisheries Ecology Division and Southwest Fisheries Science Center, the Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Humboldt State University, University of California - Santa Cruz, Bodega Marine Laboratory/University of California - Davis, and several other marine science institutions along the U.S. West Coast.
In addition to our scientific mission, we seek to enhance future research and management capacity in marine sciences by providing training and research opportunities in scientific fields critical to the NOAA mission for students in Fisheries Biology, the Environmental Systems Graduate Program in Mathematical Modeling, and other programs at Humboldt State University.
Trinidad Head Line sampling protocols
General description of the sampling protocols implemented on ocean observing cruises aboard the R/V Coral Sea along the Trinidad Head Line.
- Predation on juvenile salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.) in downstream migrant traps
Duffy, W. G., E. P. Bjorkstedt, and C.S. Ellis. In press. Predation on juvenile salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.) in downstream migrant traps. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society.
- State of the California Current 2009-2010: Regional variation persists through transition from La Nina to El Nino (and back?)
Bjorkstedt, Eric P., Ralf Goericke, Sam McClatchie, Ed Weber, William Watson, Nancy Lo, Bill Peterson, Bob Emmett, Jay Peterson, Reginaldo Durazo, Gilberto Gaxiola-Castro, Francisco Chavez, J.T. Pennington, C.A. Collins, John Field, Steve Ralston, Keith Sakuma, Steve J. Bograd, Franklin B. Schwing, Yan Xue, William J. Sydeman, Sarah Ann Thompson, Jarrod A. Santora, John Largier, Chris Halle, Steven Morgan, Sung Yong Kim, Karlina P.B. Merkens, John A. Hildebrand, and Lisa M. Munger. 2010. State of the California Current 2009-2010: Regional variation persists through transition from La Nina to El Nino (and back?). CalCOFI Reports 51:39-69.
- The state of the California Current, Spring 2008-2009: cold conditions drive regional differences in coastal production
McClatchie, S., R. Goericke, F. B. Schwing, S. J. Bograd, W. T. Peterson, R. Emmett, R. Charter, W. Watson, N. Lo, K. Hill, C. Collins, M. Kahru, B. G. Mitchell, J. A. Koslow, J. Gomez-Valdes, B. E. Lavaniegos, G. Gaxiola-Castro, J. Gottschalck, M. L'Heureux, Y. Xue, M. Manzano-Sarabia, E. Bjorkstedt, S. Ralston, J. Field, L. Rogers-Bennet, L. Munger, G. Campbell, K. Merkens, D. Camacho, A. Havron, A. Douglas, and J. Hildebrand. 2009. The state of the California Current, Spring 2008-2009: cold conditions drive regional differences in coastal production. CalCOFI Reports 50:43-68.
- Population characteristics of the mangrove crab Scylla serrata (Decapoda: Portunidae) in Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia: effects of harvest and implications for management
(View document on publisher's site, subscription may be required.)
Bonine, Kimberly M., Eric P. Bjorkstedt, Katherine C. Ewel, and Moses Palik. 2008. Population characteristics of the mangrove crab Scylla serrata (Decapoda: Portunidae) in Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia: effects of harvest and implications for management. Pacific Science 62(1):1-19.