Flowchart for Manuscript Approval and Notification Procedures: Everything you Need to Know and More
Marine Mammal & Turtle Division, SWFSC, NMFS, NOAA (April 2013)
The below applies to all peer-reviewed publications on which a MMTD scientist is an author (senior or co-author).
- Prior to journal submission:
- Obtain reviews from two appropriate peers (peers from all affiliations acceptable) and address comments to the point where both find the revision(s) acceptable.
- Obtain relevant fillable forms (from Lynn or below) for NMFS Internal Review and complete:
- Provide manuscript and completed forms to Lynn to log manuscript and to initiate Internal Review (MMTD Director and SWFSC Director)
- Note – it is strongly recommended that your Program Leader see and approve all manuscripts for their program, either through the above review process, or less formally.
- Contractors are advised to list affiliation as the contracting company. In a footnote indicate that the location of the author is SWFSC.
- At submission (after internal review is complete for senior-authored publications; concurrent with journal review for co-authored publications):
- Send citation and abstract to Program Lead/Lisa for inclusion in the MMTD weekly report.
- When accepted:
- Complete and email Template for Scientific Publication Report Submissions to Lisa with a cc: to Jeremy
- Prior to committing to pay any page or color figure charges a printing waiver is needed. Annette, Jeremy or Kate can prepare and submit the request if you send them a recent draft of the accepted publication. A printing waiver request includes the following and is emailed to Pamela.g.Jones@noaa.gov or Kevin.s.Godfrey@noaa.gov:
- An approved printing waiver is usually issued in a couple days. Once received, it is OK to pay page charges on a government purchase card. Please include a copy of the signed printing waiver with your next purchase card statement, reconciliation log, receipts, etc.
- When published (for peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, Tech Memos, Admin Reports and popular articles):