Research Interests:Vertebrate population dynamics, quantitative ecology, effects of fisheries on marine ecosystems, food web ecology, habitat and occurrence modeling, protected species management and conservation
- Ph.D., Purdue University, 2005
- M.Sc., Humboldt State University, 2002
- B.Sc., U.C. Davis, 1996
- Moore, JE, Curtis KA, Dillingham PW, Cope JM, Fordham S, Heppell S, Pardo SA, Simpfendorfer CA, Tuck G, Zhou S. 2013. Evaluating sustainability of fisheries bycatch mortality for marine megafauna: conservation reference points for data-limited populations. Environmental Conservation 40:329-344.
- Moore, J.E., and J. Barlow. 2013. Declining abundance of beaked whales (family Ziphiidae) in the California Current large marine ecosystem. PLOS ONE 8(1): e52770.
- Curtis, K.A., and J.E. Moore. 2013. Calculating reference points for sustainable take of marine turtles. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 23:441-459.
- Moore, J.E. 2012. Management reference points to account for direct and indirect impacts of fishing on marine mammals. Marine Mammal Science 29:446-473.
- Moore, J.E., and J. Barlow. 2011. Bayesian hierarchical estimation of fin whale abundance trends from a 1991-2008 time series of line-transect surveys in the California Current. Journal of Applied Ecology 48:1195-1205.
- Moore, J. E., T.M. Cox, R.L. Lewison, A.J. Read, R. Bjorkland, S.L. McDonald, L.B. Crowder, E. Aruna, I. Ayissi, P. Espeut, C. Joynson-Hicks, N. Pilcher, C. Poonian, B. Solarin, and J. Kiszka. 2010. An interview-based approach to assess marine mammal and sea turtle captures in artisanal fisheries. Biological Conservation 143:795-805.
- Moore, J. E., B. Wallace, R. Lewison, R. Zydelis, T. Cox, L. Crowder. 2009. A review of marine mammal, sea turtle and seabird bycatch in USA fisheries and the role of policy in shaping management. Marine Policy 33:435-451.