Fifteenth Western Groundfish Conference
Date: February 4-8, 2008
Location: Cocoanut Grove conference center, Santa Cruz, California
The Fisheries Ecology Division co-hosted the Fifteenth Western Groundfish Conference, a meeting of over 200 participants representing state and federal fishery agencies, regional management councils, universities, conservation groups, and fishing and other marine industries.
Dr. Alan Longhurst, renowned marine biologist and oceanographer, presented the keynote address entitled “The Sustainability Myth,” challenging scientists and fishermen to reflect on the broad and cumulative impacts of fishing on marine ecosystems. The lecture was followed by an interactive panel of regional fishermen, scientists, and fisheries managers who discussed their perceptions of sustainability and the state of regional fisheries with conference participants.
The conference included oral and poster sessions on stock assessment, management targets and thresholds, advanced survey technology, ecosystem analysis, marine protected areas, habitat characterization, and general fishery biology. This conference is the only such meeting in the United States, and is the best venue for groundfish biologists to interact with colleagues from the fishing industry, the government, and universities.
The Fifteenth Western Groundfish Conference was sponsored by:
- NOAA Fisheries Service
- California Department of Fish and Game
- West Coast and Polar Regions Undersea Research Center
- International Pacific Halibut Commission
- Center for Stock Assessment Research
- Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary
- Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
- Oregon Trawl Commission
- Ocean Conservancy
- Environmental Defense
- Pacific Marine Conservation Council
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories
- University of California, Santa Barbara Marine Science Institute
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- Archipelago Marine Research Ltd.
- California Sea Grant
- Fishermen’s Marketing Association
- Who’s Your Daddy Sportsfishing Group
- Don Quixote’s
(February 11, 2008)