Welcome to the Ecosystem Survey of Delphinus Species cruise. The research cruise will take place off the coasts of California and Baja California, Mexico aboard NOAA Ship McArthur II. Dr. Susan Chivers is the Chief Scientist.
DATES AND INPORTS: The cruise will begin in San Francisco, CA on 07 September. Training and ship setup will take place on 05-06 September in San Francisco. The ship will return to San Diego on 09 December 2009. The cruise will have three legs; both inports are scheduled for San Diego. The cruise will end in San Diego.
I. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
• A passport is required because the ship will be working in Mexican waters; no port calls in Mexico
• Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) or Common Access Card (CAC); when in San Diego, the ship will be at the 10th Avenue Terminal, a secured port. Everyone getting on or off the ship is required to have one of these two forms of identification The Port of San Diego takes security very seriously; Appointments will be scheduled for Federal Employees without a CAC on 02 October (first San Diego inport). Contracted scientists should obtain a TWIC; it can take up to 6 weeks for a card and it must be picked up in person. Please visit http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm for more information. TWIC are only issued in the US. If you cannot obtain a TWIC card, you will have to be escorted to and from the ship. At this time, SWFSC has only one person who has been certified by the Port of San Diego to act as an escort at the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal; this may limit your inport activities.
II. HEALTH AND EMERGENCY CONTACT FORMS:
• Two forms are required and must be received by the Survey Coordinator no later than 23 July.
• NOAA Health Standard Questionnaire, NHSQ 2009 (click to this webpage) - new form this year. Because the form requires your personal signature on the last page, you must print the form once it is completed, sign it, and send to the survey coordinator by fax (858-546-5623), e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail (address below).
• Emergency Contact and Personal Information - the ship requires emergency contact information, dietary preferences and known food allergies, and passport information. This form should be faxed, emailed or mailed with the Health Form.
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
8604 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
III. TRAVEL INFORMATION:
• Federal employees
Complete the SWFSC Travel Request with their travel information and email it to SurveyCoordinator.SWFSC@noaa.gov no later than 15 July 2009
You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements to meet the ship
• All Scientific Personnel
Everyone is expected to report to the ship no later than 0800 on 05 September 2009 unless other arrangements have been made ahead of time
IV. ADDITIONAL PARTICIPANT INFORMATION TO BE REVIEWED:
• Scientific Roster
• Survey Tracklines
• What to Bring
• Important Telephone Numbers
• TB Testing and Test Site Information
V. SHIP LOADING / BRIEFING / ORIENTATION:
• Ship Loading will start at 0800 on 05 September in San Francisco aboard NOAA Ship McArthur II
• Briefing will start at 0900 on 06 September in San Francisco aboard NOAA Ship McArthur II
• Ship Departures is scheduled for 07 September – time to be determined
• NOAA Ship McArthur II will be docked in San Francisco: dock yet to be determined