Welcome to HICEAS 2010: the Hawaiian Islands Cetacean and Ecosystem Assessment Survey. This expedition will survey the entire Hawaiian Archipelago out to approximately 200 nm aboard NOAA Ships McArthur II and Sette. HICEAS 2010 This is a collaborative survey between the Southwest and Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Centers; Dr. Jay Barlow is the Chief Scientist for the Southwest Fisheries and Dr. Erin Oleson is the Chief Scientist for Pacific Islands.
DATES AND INPORTS
NOAA Ship McArthur II: The cruise will begin in San Diego, CA on 04 August 2010. Training and ship setup will take place on 02-03 August in San Diego. The ship will return to San Diego on 11 December 2010. The cruise will have five legs; the Hawaii inports are scheduled for Honolulu and Hilo. The cruise will end in San Diego.
NOAA Ship Sette: The cruise will begin in Honolulu, HI on 01 September 2010. Training and ship setup will take place on 31 August in Honolulu. The ship will return to Honolulu on 29 October 2010. The cruise will have two legs; the in port is scheduled for Hilo. The cruise will end in Honolulu.
I. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) or Common Access Card (CAC)
Whether you are sailing on NOAA Ship McArthur II or Sette, the ships will be docking at secured ports. Everyone getting on or off the ship is required to have one of these two forms of identification The Ports take security *very* seriously (San Diego: Tenth Avenue Marine Terminal; Honolulu: Pearl Harbor Naval Base). Appointments will be scheduled for Federal Employees without a CAC on 03 August in San Diego. Contracted scientists should obtain a TWIC; it can take up to 6 weeks for a card and it must be picked up in person. Please visit http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm for more information. TWIC are only issued in the US.
II. HEALTH AND EMERGENCY CONTACT FORMS:
• Two forms are required and must be received by the Survey Coordinator no later than 05 July for scientists sailing on NOAA Ship McArthur II. Scientists sailing on NOAA Ship Sette must turn in forms no later than 01 August.
• NOAA Health Standard Questionnaire, NHSQ (click to this webpage). Because the form requires your personal signature on the last page, you must print the form once it is completed, sign it, and send to the survey coordinator by fax (858-546-5623), e-mail (email@example.com) or mail (address below).
• Emergency Contact and Personal Information - the ship requires emergency contact information, dietary preferences and known food allergies, and passport information. This form should be faxed, emailed or mailed with the Health Form.
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
8604 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
III. TRAVEL INFORMATION:
• Federal employees will be on government travel - survey coordinator will email you directly with travel reqeust information
• Contractors are responsible for working with making your own travel arrangements to meet the shipare responsible for working with making your own travel arrangements to meet the ship
• Invitational Acousticians will be on government travel and need to work directly with survey coordinator to make travel arrangements
IV. START DATES
• NOAA Ship McArthur II Personnel
Everyone is expected to report to the ship no later than 0800 on 02 August unless other arrangements have been made ahead of time
• NOAA Ship Sette Personnel
Everyone is expected to report to the ship no later than 0800 on 31 August unless other arrangements have been made ahead of time
IV. ADDITIONAL PARTICIPANT INFORMATION TO BE REVIEWED:
• Scientific Roster (to be posted after hiring completed)
• Survey Tracklines (to be posted soon)
• What to Bring
• Important Telephone Numbers
• TB Testing and Test Site Information (San Diego only)
V. SHIP LOADING / BRIEFING / ORIENTATION:
NOAA Ship McArthur II
• Ship Loading will start at 0800 on 02 August in San Diego aboard NOAA Ship McArthur II
• Briefing will start at 0900 on 03 August in San Diego; location to be determined
• Ship Departure is scheduled for 04 August – time to be determined
• NOAA Ship McArthur II will be docked at the Tenth Avenue Marine Terminal, San Diego, CA
NOAA Ship Sette
• Ship Loading will start at 0800 on 31 August in Honolulu, HI aboard NOAA Ship Sette
• Briefing will start take place in the Scientific Lab area as the ship departs Honolulu
• Ship Departure is scheduled for 01 September – time to be determined