PDF version for printing
The La Jolla Shores Laboratory is co-located on the campus of Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California in San Diego. The address is 8604 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, California, 92037. The phone is 858-334-2800.
Getting to La Jolla
La Jolla is located near the city of San Diego along the southern California coast. It can be reached by Highway 5 from either San Diego or Los Angeles or by the scenic Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 101). Highway 52 from the east becomes La Jolla Parkway which flows directly onto the surface streets that lead to the laboratory. Allow approximately 2 hours from Los Angeles, 30 minutes from the San Diego International Airport and 45 minutes from the U.S./Mexico border in Tijuana.
Directions from San Diego
- Take Interstate 5 north to La Jolla Parkway.
- Go west (left) onto La Jolla Parkway and proceed down the hill (approximately 1.5 miles) to La Jolla Shores Drive.
- Turn right on La Jolla Shores Drive (at the gas station).
- Proceed approximately 1 mile along La Jolla Shores Drive (up the hill and past the main campus of Scripps Institution of Oceanography). Just past the Biological Grade entrance into Scripps Institution of Oceanography prepare to turn left (watch for oncoming traffic). Looks for the large white sign for the Southwest Fisheries Science Center.
- Turn left into the visitor parking lot at 8604 La Jolla Shores Drive.
Directions from Los Angeles
- Take Interstate 5 south to Genesee Avenue (exit 29).
- Go west (right turn off the highway) onto Genesee Avenue and continue approximately 0.5 miles until reaching North Torrey Pines Road. Along the way, follow the signs to La Jolla.
- Turn left (south) on N. Torrey Pines Road and go 1 mile to La Jolla Shores Drive. You’ll pass the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) campus on your left.
- Turn right (west) on La Jolla Shores Drive and go down the hill about 0.5 miles. Look for a large white sign for the Southwest Fisheries Science Center.
- Turn right into the visitor parking lot at 8604 La Jolla Shores Drive. (This turn is an immediate right just past La Jolla Shores Lane and before the campus of Scripps Institution of Oceanography).
There is visitor parking in front of the main office. Please sign in and obtain a parking permit from the front office.